Monday, October 28, 2013

Four years later

You’ll blossom.” He smiled at me.

I thought it an odd thing to say.

He had just learned he had less than a month to live, and he was concerned about putting me at ease. It was so like him.

The next month was a blur, and memory being a fickle thing, I can only recall those things I recall. Why is that? Why can’t we remember everything? Why do we only remember bits and pieces of moments and words?

I posted the truth on the blog, as I had been doing for the past year since his surgery. The followers counted on my honest truth. I didn't pull any punches. “Don’t come to me at the funeral and tell me what a wonderful man Bob was. Tell him now. Those are his words to hear.”

And so they did. They drove, flew, wrote, called…we had a white board with a schedule of visitors. It was more than I dared hope. It was exhausting and energizing all at the same time.

I can’t tell you how many times I heard “I came to encourage him, but somehow he encouraged me.” 


Character is revealed in the worst of times. Truly. Want to know who you really are? Then deal with a disease. Deal with a deadly diagnosis.


He took control of the only thing he had the ability to control – his departure. He planned the funeral, down to each song. He politely asked the choir if any were able he would appreciate them being there to sing. Over 150 choir members came to sing him home. He went with me to select the casket and the thank you notes. I remember him pointing to the oak casket and asking me if I liked it. How do you answer such a question?

I later found a note he wrote. “I’m giddy at the thought of meeting God.” His faith was unshakable. Even as the ground beneath his feet shifted, he stood strong.

Sam said it best as he stood in full military dress at the funeral. His father lay in similar dress, quiet and still just a few feet away.

My father taught me how to live….and he showed me how to die.”

And that was his legacy. IS his legacy. That he loved others more than he loved himself, enough to teach a final lesson, when he had absolutely nothing to gain.

“You’ll blossom.”

Those words echo in my mind. You’ll be okay, he meant. More than okay. “You will blossom.”

His final gift to me.

I’m trying, Bob. I’m trying.


10 comments:

  1. Joyce, I hope I handle myself as well as you have. Sometimes the thought that I will have to exist without him is enough to make me start crying and want to give up. I hope I can learn to be as dignified as you have been. Thank you for being an example to me. Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Patrick are in my prayers Angela...these journeys are not for the weak or feint of heart, this I know full well.

      Delete
  2. Wow - very powerful and meaningful.. I am also dealing with the upcoming death of my brother right now and this really helps me. He only has 2 months to live and we are really going to miss him. Thanks for sharing your strength.. I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this Nancy...I'm so sorry that you are going through this with a beloved family member - words are inadequate but know you can call on me at any time. One thing we experienced, that we weren't expecting, is you truly find who your friends are...and unfortunately, your brother may have friends who dissapear. Some people just dont' know what to do, so they do nothing, which is tragic. I hope his last months are filled with love and that he is surrounded by the people who love him. Bob was very very open about his diagnosis...even spent 2 hours talking to our dentist about it, answering many questions about how a man faces death. Everyone handles it differently I suppose...but your brothers gift is having 2 months to prepare. Many people never have that. I have a friend whose husband passed away one morning before her eyes, they never had time for final words. I miss you too...see you soon and call me if you need to chat.

      Delete
  3. Once again the tears roll down my cheek...an odd mix of sadness and gratitude, loss and hope. So many memories...

    I know Bob is smiling down from heaven, pleased at how you're blossoming. {{{{{{hug}}}}}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev...more like Bob is causing mischief in Heaven, along with my mom :-). I'm sure they had quite the reunion! Bob thought the world of you and Ben, and we will forever be grateful for your help those last months (weekend midnight runs to find feeding bags!). xoxo

      Delete
  4. Bob always chose his words wisely, when he said it, you didn't have to doubt it. He was right, you are blossoming. But you always were, and he knew that. I suppose he meant that you would be okay, and continue to blossom. He was right, as usual. We sure miss Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he measured his words wisely. That drove me (the chatterbox) crazy!! LOL. He loved you and often said he thought of you as a daughter Amanda. He called you "a joy"...No small compliment. :-)

      Delete
  5. Prayers for You and Your Family Joyce. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly...prayers from across the pond are always welcome!!! xo

      Delete